Visual content, whether seen through a Slideshare presentation or a video makes a big impact. It’s understood faster by our brains, which is a big benefit when the average customer’s attention span is less that 10 seconds now.
People do like to consume content in different ways, some still prefer text, but about 80% of us prefer information to be related in a visual way.
Since visual content makes such a great impact, which should you focus on – Slideshare or video? The answer is that you can use both very effectively. Your goals will help you determine which of these to focus on for your projects.
Both videos and slide decks can be accessed by anyone, anytime, helping to build brand awareness. They can be embedded in your site, be shared and can be optimized for SEO. These are all good things, so let’s talk about why and when to use each type of visual content.
Slideshare: Why and When
Slideshare is often referred to as Youtube for slideshows. With great traffic (over 60 million monthly visitors) it’s the largest presentation sharing site and is among the top 150 most visited sites.
Why should you use Slideshare?
- It’s Quick and easy, and inexpensive to produce a polished presentation
- Presentations are easy to digest, even with complex content
- You can incorporate almost any media type
- Lead capture forms can be added
- Audio and video can be included in presentations
- Slideshare was built for B2B but B2C companies are starting to take advantage of it as well
- Slideshare can do better than video in search because it automatically creates a transcription for you
When should you use Slideshare?
- When you want to present a list
- When you’re creating case studies
- When you’re presenting a series of messages
- When you want to show an image or images for a longer period of time
- When your audience will want to go backward and forward through the presentation
- When your audience will need to view the presentation at their own pace, stopping and starting as needed
- When you have a lot of images you want to include a blog post
Best Practices for Slideshare presentations
Create a dedicated Slideshare profile and link back to your blog and then post presentations on a regular basis. With good content you’ll create an audience that will keep coming back.
Keep your specific target audience in mind when creating your presentations. Using your personas, make sure you are creating content that will appeal to the people that you want to talk to.
Shorter is better, again due to that shortened attention span. Include a few takeaways in each presentation as well to a call to action slide at the end.
Include more visual content than text, but don’t use the same old stock images. Make sure you images accurately and quickly communicate your ideas.
Optimize your slides for SEO, including keywords in your title, description, using relevant tags, including all the correct categories. Include clickable links in your slides and set it up to be easily shared as well.
Embed your presentation in your blog, share it on social media, and tell the world about it!
Video: Why and When
If people are given a choice of reading detailed text about a topic or watching a video, they will overwhelmingly choose to watch the video (80% of them prefer video over text).
Why should you use video?
Videos can increase understanding of your product and can be more compelling than a slideshow since they capture emotion better.
While they can be a bit more costly to produce and maintain, costs are coming down. It may be less expensive than you think to create a detailed video that may tell your story better than a slideshow.
When you should use a video?
- Interviews and Testimonials
- Product Demonstrations
- Presenting a series
Best practices for Video Content
Keep your audience in mind and let your personality and culture shine through. Customer personas along with your unique culture will help you determine what and how you communicate.
Write and work from a script, and make your video informative and entertaining. It will be much easier to produce the video once you have a plan and script.
Good lighting and sound are must haves, and if you are shooting live action be sure to use HD.
Do multiple takes and choose the best one. Be sure to pay attention to everything that is seen in the video, including the background. The details do matter.
Optimize your videos for SEO by using your keywords in your title and file name, and set up a transcript for your video. Wistia or Vimeo may be good choices for hosting your video, although many videos are on YouTube as well. You could also embed your video on your site.
Share your video through your blog and on social media and make it easy to people to share your video and comment on it.
It’s a Wrap
Whether video or Slideshare, visual content is very powerful when you do it right. You can create compelling visual content that can be used for brand building, content marketing, link building, getting more traffic to your site, building your leads and increasing your conversions. Get out there and have some fun with visual content!
Other Articles You Might Be Interested In:
- Video Marketing Getting Started With Video Marketing for Under $200
- Skills Video Marketing: How to Have Charisma on Camera
- Video Marketing Viral Video Marketing: What's, Why's & How's of Going Viral